Wednesday 27 February 2013

Greatest Hits Volume 1

 
 
A round up of the Greatest Hits of this blog so far ..... my own personal favourite tracks. Over the next few weeks I'll pick what are, for me, the tracks that have struck a chord with me. My friends will tell you I am notoriously fickle when it comes to my "new favourite band .... currently Rhye, by the way) so a track has to be extra-special to stay the course
 
Careful What You Wish For (from the album We Fell To Earth - 2009) - WE FELL TO EARTH

For me, a better band than the much-lauded The XX, this band is known more in America for composing the theme to their version of "The Killing". Sparse, electronic, backdrop behind haunting vocals, they are an excellent live band as well.

 
 
Them And Me (from the album The Alternative To Love - 2005) - BRENDAN BENSON

Although known mostly for his co-writing and performing in Jack White's The Raconteurs, he has been a solo artist of note for some time. In fact, I would go so far as to say he is one of the great singer-songwriters. It is no accident that his songs are actually the best in The Raconteurs' songbook
 
 
 
Lovesick (from the album Real Life Is No Cool - 2010) : LINDSTROM & CHRISTABELLE
 
Hans-Peter Lindstrøm used to play keyboards in a Deep Purple cover band (WARNING: This track sounds nothing like Deep Purple!). Christabelle Silje Isabelle Birgitta Sandoo does not actually record with him. He sends her the music, and she records the vocals. She makes the lyrics up as she sings!

This should make for a totally chaotic album, but in fact produces a modern dance album of quality and distinction
 

No comments:

Post a Comment